Thursday, July 06, 2017

buying fall seeds

I'd like to plant some carrot seeds soon for late fall harvest. I'm out, so I checked a couple local nurseries. One is sold out of all carrot seed, the other has sold out of all of their seed for the season. Few gardeners plant crops for fall. So I placed a nice big order from Johnny's Seeds. Five varieties of orange carrots and a purple carrot, a black radish, a small Chinese cabbage, purple stock flowers, red salanova lettuce, pickling cukes and teddy bear sunflower seed for next year, and dubuisson endive.

Fall crops I've already planted are Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and of course lettuce that I am planting about every 3 weeks. I've also planted Belgian endive (wiltloof) that I am looking forward to trying for the first time this year.

4 comments:

Phuong said...

I can't believe it's time to start fall crops already. We're in the middle of canning so it'll be a week or two before I can get them started.

Anonymous said...

How do you keep your lettuce seedlings from drying up or wilting in the summer heat?

kathy said...

Most seeds I plant in pots and keep them on my patio. That way I can baby them until they are big enough to take the summer heat.

Even beans I've been planting in pots on my patio this year. The chipmunks eat the seeds and young sprouts. I keep them in a location where the chipmunks can't reach them and transplant to the garden when there are a couple sets of leaves.

I've baby-sat a lots of seedlings this year.

kathy said...

Phuong, I'm just about to start my canning. I'll start this week with garlic scape pickles.