Monday, August 29, 2016

today's harvest

harvest 8-29 IMG_7568

This is today's harvest from my community garden. It was boring digging potatoes alone. As a pup, Skippy would dig a bit with me. As an adult, he would bark at passersby. Not really a good think to do. I'd say "shush!". He thought it was his garden and I was more than glad to share it with him.

The other story today is the dryness. The garden soil is rising in clouds as I dig. So dry. I've been watering as when I can, probably every four days, a good deep soaking. But it isn't enough. Crops I have left in this: sweet potatoes, gourds, a few tomatoes, raspberries, and butternut squash. My tomatillos dried up and died. The beans are having more trouble from dryness than from bean beetles. The voles are prevalent and thirsty that they are eating everything. They ate an entire row of beans that I planted last week.

I have to say, I don't think my dried out community plot is worth watering anymore. I think squash, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and raspberries will ripen and I'll pick them. If we get rain, I'll seed a winter cover crop. Otherwise, that's it 'til next year. Kind of sad. A least I have my garden at home that is easier for me to water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gardening is cool and a good way to nurture your health. You get to sniff the fresh air and eat the fruits and veggies. Interesting and detailed blog !

Sulis said...

I've read your blog on and off for years, and it helped me get started on my own garden. I'm also a dog lover, having three of my own, and for some reason this morning Skippy came into my mind. I took a look and saw the sad news. I know you are still heartbroken and will be for some time. Skippy loved and was loved. Best wishes for you in your grief. Thanks for the inspiration to keep busy, as usual. Cry as much as you need to as well.