Tuesday, August 09, 2016

hot and dry for fall planting

We're right in the middle of a beautiful summer and I'm doing a countdown to our fall frost as I do my fall planting. All right, it's beautiful as in blue skies, but sort of dry. All right, very dry. Emergency water restrictions in some neighboring towns. Our bushes are dying, grass is crispy. I'm doing my best to keep my vegetable garden watered but our restrictions only allow watering twice a week, Tuesday and Thursday. My mom and I both have grass that crunches when you walk on it. It's a pretty golden color. I've heard that some local farmers are delaying their fall planting. It's just too hot and dry. So we enjoy the blue skies and hope for rain.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother lives in Chelmsford and says the same about the dryness.

Stephanie said...

Kathy, So happy to hear from you again! I have been checking your blog almost daily for any updates. Thank you for posting your fall plantings. As always, I am amazed at your gardens.

David Velten said...

Yes, I can't really plant fall seeds now with the soil bone dry. And same problem with the tomatoes, the birds and chipmunks are taking everything so I'm picking them as soon as they have a bit of color.