Monday, August 08, 2016

garden work

I worked a few hours in my community garden plot today. It is SO dry. The soil is dust and most plants are wilted. I haven't had time to water more than once a week and some of the plants just barely grow on that amount of water, even though I water very deep when I do go.

Garden work:
- weed
- cut down potatoes (after two weeks I will start digging them)
- pull onions that were ready (falling over)
- pick tomatoes, beans, and acorn squash
- clean up rhubarb by removing dried out leaves
- count the butternut squashes on the arbor vines (10! if they all mature)
- water everything well (except the cut down potatoes)

2 comments:

CHRIS said...

your post reminds me of a question i have been wondering about... how do you know when onions are ready to pull? mine are flopping over now but the leaves are still green... no yellowing tips yet... should i still hold off until that happens? this is my first year growing onions so i have no idea... lol... and then curing them? what's that all about?!

Anonymous said...

Looks so wonderfully neat and productive! My goal next year is to plant less things further apart so they will all have room to grow to maturity.