Wednesday, March 30, 2016

seedlings trays

seedling trays IMG_5269 - Copy seedling trays  IMG_5267 - Copy seedlings  IMG_5231 - Copy These are the seedling trays I'm using this year.

1. I plant most of my seeds in 2" x 3" thin plastic pots, 24 per tray:

I've planted in plastic 6-packs for many years. I've made 100s of paper pots and I've used peat pots. But these are what I've come to like. I like them better than plastic 6-packs because I can plant fewer seeds of more varieties. Also it's easier to give away one or two pots than to cut apart a 6-pack. They are thin plastic, but I can usually use them about 3 years before they rip apart. My only complaint: too bad they're not compostable.

Growers Solutions 2401: $1.28 per tray
Greenhouse Megastore 2410, $8.00 per 10-pack (almost out of stock now)

2. I'm trying plug cells this year for peppers, tomatoes, and eggplants. I'm using trays with square cells, 128 cells per tray. I'll transplant the plants to deep single pots later, probably mid-April. I like to use 3.5" square, 5" deep pots for transplants:

p85D from Growers Solutions: $69.95 case of 450
Greenhouse Megastore: $69.90 case of 450 (out of stock now)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kathy! This is my first visit to your site and I just wanted to let you know that I love all of your photos. I'm in South Carolina (I used to live in northern NJ) now,and I've just had a 12 month continuous garden, which is a first for me!I realized how lucky I am when I saw your snow covered garden...April is such a tricky month! Best of luck and Happy Spring! Alice Ritter, from Ritt's Garden www.ritt-s-garden.com