Sunday, January 17, 2016

potato order

I've decided on my potato selection for this year. 4 types, all from Fedco Moose Tubers:

Natascha, v. early, yellow skin/yellow flesh, waxy, high yield, high scab res
AmaRosa, mid-late, red skin/red flesh, waxy, high yield, high scab res
German Butterball, late, yellow-russet skin/yellow flesh, med/dry texture, med/high yieid, exel storage
Russet Burbank, late, russet skin/white flesh, dry texture, high yield, high scab res., exel storage

Last year I restrained my self to one variety, spaced the eyes out nicely, and ended up with a very poor harvest. I'm looking forward to abundance this year!

Jan 18: I've just placed my order. Some things are already selling out at Moose Tubers. Fortunately they still had the four varieties I want, but conventional only - the organic ones were sold out. I was surprised at their shipping charge of $15 on my $21 order (10 lbs total), but I want these varieties and I suppose 10 lbs isn't like shipping little seed packets. (Thanks for the correction below.)

In placing the Burbank Russet order I see this note: "This dependable standard requires heavy feeding and regular moisture for exceptional performance." I'll have to remember that. I neglected both with the Russets I grew last year and had a very low harvest.

7 comments:

Connie said...

Here's wishing you a better crop this year. My hubby is diabetic so potatoes are off our diet . . . too bad, because we love them.

kathy said...

Thanks. Same with my Dad. They're his favorite and now with kidney disease, he can't eat any.

Anonymous said...

Assume you meant 20 lb vs. 2 :)
Would like to see some photos of your results this year including one showing the inside of the AmaRosa. After years of experimenting, I've pretty much settled on Kennebec (midseason) & Dark Red Norland (early) for reliability here in Northern Michigan; and the Kennebec stores quite well.

kathy said...

Ooops. Thanks. I'll correct it in the post. Actually I meant 10 lbs. I ordered 2.5 lbs of each of the four.

Your potato selection sounds great. I've grown the Dark Red Norland and that's really nice. I'll definitely post my potato results. I'm looking forward to the AmaRosa - red inside and out.

pam_chesbay said...

Hi Kathy, that shipping fee is nuts. What farm co-ops serve your area? In my part of the country (SE VA), Southern States is the main co-op where you can buy feed for chickens, dogs, horses. Also veg seed and seedlings for your region - and quality seed potatoes. You may want to check co-ops for future potato purchases. Or Whole Foods for organic potatoes.

kathy said...

Hi Pam,

A farm co-op is a great idea. We have a couple near here where I buy my chicken feed, one in Acton and one in Topsfield MA. I've never checked them for seed potatoes, but I bet they carry them. I also see seed potatoes in nurseries and even Home Depot and Walmart - 5 lbs for $6, no shipping charge. They're certified disease-free, but only limited varieties in stores - red, blue, russet, Yukon Gold. To try the particular varieties I ordered I'm stuck with mail order. I guess $15 is what I'd pay for a USPS flat rate box about the size of my 10 lbs. So I'm thinking now that it's a reasonable rate for a small company.

I don't recommend Whole Foods (or other supermarket) for seed potatoes because I think it's important to buy certified disease-free. Especially free of late blight. People commenting on Garden forums don't seem to worry about this, but I don't want potato diseases in my garden. As an organic gardener, I'm not putting strong fungicides or other sprays on my plants and the best control is not introducing a disease. I particularity worry about late blight - a serious issue for tomatoes and potatoes. It's been spreading rapidly to the North East US many years recently. One of the most probable sources of the 2011 outbreak was gardeners who purchased infected potatoes (https://www.usablight.org/node/46). I grow in a community garden and I'm really aware of how fast plant pathogens spread. Anyway, I suggest people buy certified seed potatoes.

pam_chesbay said...

Understand. Your circumstances are a bit different from mine. Late blight isn't a problem in Virginia - at least not yet. I garden in an isolated area, not in a community garmy garden. My few neighbors don't garden. If I create a problem, I'll have to deal with it but others won't be affected.

You may want to check varieties at yr local farm supply in case that's in option in the future. Our farm supply carries quality seed and plants for our area at a fraction of mail order prices. I love poring over seed catalogs & still place orders but usually buy basics - red skinned potatoes, onions, beans, and summer squash - from local companies. It's all good.