Friday, September 11, 2015

sowing for winter garden - 9 weeks before Persephone

I just got a package from Johnny's. More seeds to sow for my winter garden. Here's what I have going so far:

September 6, 2015 (10 weeks before Persephone)
Kale, Red Russian
Kale, Vates
Blanching Onions, Nabechan
Radicchio, Perseo

September 10, 2015 (9 weeks before Persephone)
Collards, Flash
Swiss chard, Peppermint
Cilantro, Calypso
Lettuce, Bibb, Winter Density
Lettuce, Romaine, Truchas
Lettuce, Butterhead, Skyphos
Escarole, Natacha
Endive, Tres Fine
Mustard Greens, Ruby Streaks
Daikon Radish, Miyashige

Looks like I forgot to order the turnip seeds. Maybe I'll find some in a store this week. And I noticed that escarole, endive and mustard greens are not on my app. A winter garden has to have these! I'll add them in the next version. I've never grown Daikon before, so this is an experiment.

My Johnny's package also had some Fall Greens Manure Mix, a cover crop. I'll try scattering this under my tomato plants soon, to get it going. I can also plant it now in my squash beds, which have petered out.

Lastly, the package had AG-19 row cover, which will be one of two layers I'll use to protect my winter garden from the cold.

No comments: