Thursday, September 10, 2015

pickled peppers

peppers for pickling IMG_3684

I started with about 4 lbs of mixed hot peppers:

    Jalepeno pepper, Emerald Fire (a new AAS winner)
    TexMex pepper, Joseph E Parker
    Poblano, Ancho 211

I cut these in rings and canned them according to directions in the Ball Home Preserving book. They are delicious. Nice and hot! I only wish they didn't loose so much of their bright green color. I wonder if they retain it more with a pressure canner.

peppers pickled IMG_3703

6 comments:

JPrice said...

In my experience (which is not terribly vast - I've canned a couple of different types of peppers over the last three years or so), pressure canning doesn't preserve the nice color any better.

I've also had trouble keeping mine from getting quite soft. I don't know if that's preventable when canning, but if anyone knows any tricks, I'm all ears!

Tricie and Conor said...

sadly no, they don't retain color in the pressure canner!

kathy said...

Yes, mine got soft too. Store bought seem more firm.

Unknown said...

Has anyone tried Alum? I'm a new canner and a friend of mine uses Alum for canning pickles to keep them crispy. I wonder if it would work for peppers too?

~SaraJaneMorgan

kathy said...

Or grape leaves? I used that in my cucumber pickles. I don't know if either of these work for pickled peppers.

kathy said...

What do you think of this recipe?

http://www.food.com/recipe/crunchy-pickled-jalapeno-rings-made-with-pickling-lime-459676

I see that Amazon sells pickling lime. Maybe I'll try it.