Wednesday, May 13, 2015

garden work

At my community plot: 
Emptied my compost bin
Spread ripe compost onto beds
Returned unripe materials back to bin
Transplanted Johnny-Jump-Ups out of potato bed
Transplanted asparagus to a sunnier bed
Mulched and watered transplanted asparagus
Removed stray strawberry plants
(Gave away strawberry and asparagus plants :-)
Turned potato bed - ready to plant!

At my backyard garden:
Raked turned beds flat
Finished fall leaf clean up
Planted broccoli, cabbage, escarole, radicchio and lettuce
Watered transplants
Covered broccoli and cabbage with row cover

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you could transplant asparagus! Any special techniques?
mav

lizzi {strayedtable} said...

It is amazing to think that you are planning to plant brussel sprouts at this time of year I am going into winter now and it is the perfect time for us too. Would love for you to join in the Garden Share collective http://www.strayedtable.com/grow/garden-share/

kathy said...

Ooops. I didn't know you couldn't transplant asparagus! I just moved it like any other perennial that's moved during the growing season.

I dug up a big clump of soil with as much of the roots as I could get. Then I immediately placed this soil ball into a prepared hole I had dug in the new location, mulched well with salt marsh hay, and watered heavily. I won't harvest any for a couple years probably.

Upon reading into it, its better to move asparagus while it's dormant, very early spring. Then you can even separate roots if you have a crowded patch.

kathy said...

Thanks for the invite to the Garden Share Collective, Lizzie. That looks fun! I'll remember it for next month.