Monday, April 06, 2015

time to plant tomatoes

My planting calendar says it's time to plant tomatoes this week. I jumped the gun on thee and planted two werks early. This week I planted two types of sweaty peas (the flowers). A low white flowered one and tall mixed colors. And I'll soon plant some new bok choy seeds I got. I need to transplant my broccoli into bigger pots. I planted these several weeks early. I'm watching to see when my outdoor peas come up but it's soooooo cold this week. I'll wait to plant more outside.

What are you planting this week?

tomato seedlings IMG_2236 These are my tomato seedlings. I have four plants each of 16 varieties, 8 of Cherokee Purple. Hmm. 72 plants. What was I thinking? A few aren't sprouting, but the germination rate seems really good overall. I can fit about 25. My Mom will take 5 or 6, I think. That's not even homes for half. I'd give them away at my community garden, but we are encouraging gardeners to grow late blight resistant varieties there. Maybe a table by the roadside that says - FREE TOMATO SEEDLINGS....

I'm thinking about my pepper seedlings too. I planted 6 varieties 6 each, 36 plants. Mom will want at most 10, same with me. These I can give to the community gardeners.

5 comments:

Tossing Dirt said...

Well, started getting tomatoes in the ground but really ran out of time. Hope to finish them up Friday afternoon and get the cukes in too. Already have onions, garlic, peas, radishes, cabbage and lettuce in. Still have to get bean seeds. Ah!
Sweaty Peas? Boy, don't sound very appealing to me :)

Unknown said...

Kathy, I have followed your blog for years, reading all about your veggie garden and taking tips and techniques from you for my own vegetable garden on the Cape! I feel compelled to finally comment, mostly to say thank you for all the advice you provide on this blog, and for the excellent planting calendars! I have ten 8'x4' raised beds and one 16'x4' bed that is new this year for my potato patch. When my husband and I bought our house on a busy road, we decided the front yard was of no use to us, so we tore it up and installed our vegetable garden. This weekend I transplanted my broccoli, cabbage, onions, kale, and some lettuce! And my garlic is up and looking wonderful. I also sowed peas, spinach, radishes, bok choy, arugula and mustard. Inside under lights are tomatoes, eggplant, celery, peppers, and brussels sprouts (which I hope to transplant this week) So, thanks for all the tips, and I'll keep you posted on our haul this year, if you're interested@

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Hi, first tomatoes were seeded, San Marzano for pasta sauce. Need to do the rest this evening. At the lottie, parsnips and first lot of carrots, saw a tip to seed radish in with the parsnip and carrots, they pop up quick so you can see your rows, in case your markers go missing as ours always mysteriously seem to.
Marian(LondonUK)

Georgeanne said...

Down here in Arkansas, my tomato seedlings have been out for over a week and a half now! :)

Lara said...

I'm starting lots of tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, ground cherries, tomatillo, etc...right now with hopes that I can get them all in the ground before the end of May. I also think I may have gone overboard with my tomato seedlings, but I'm finding that there are lots of people who want to trade varieties they save seed for each year for my heirlooms so it is probably a good thing I planted so many! I can't wait to try some of the varieties I'm trading for.