Sunday, March 08, 2015

Skippy's EXTREME vegetable garden report - the shoveled pea bed is thawing

I went down to my vegetable garden this afternoon. Hiked down the snow path and went into the garden to check out the pea bed hole-in-the-snow. I brought a metal poker to check for soil thawing. I was SO impressed with the progress! There is almost no snow left on the soil of the dug out area, just nice green rye grass - and MUD!! Yeah MUD! About 1 inch of soil is thawed. Its not draining, of course, as it's all frozen below. I poked around in the mud a bit and admired it. Our forecast is for temps up to 50 F in the next couple days. I am looking forward to more mud ... and then when the soil is all thawed the mud will drain .... and then I'll have a garden.

I didn't do any more pea-bed snow shoveling today, as I had just done a lot of shoveling in our driveway. Maybe tomorrow...

thawing pea bed IMG_0550thawing pea bed IMG_0551

2 comments:

Lady of LaMancha said...

Ha, ha! Love the EXTREME! This week, my garden is also extreme, but at the other end of the heat spectrum... upper 80's? But, it's still winter!

Aaah, how I miss the fifth season in New England: the mud season. Could do with some of that mud here...

kathy said...

The mud season is right!!! Its almost here.

How can you be 80s in winter? Your summer much be very hot!