Wednesday, August 20, 2014

new chickens

introducing new pullets 9353 I just picked up my two new chickens at the post office. They (McMurray Hatcheries)shipped them much nicer this time, in a box twice a big as last time (for 3 chickens last time) and this box had a divider between the birds. I got two pullets (hens 15-22 weeks old). A Barred Rock (black and white) and another Black Australorp.

I was warned by Linda not to put them with the full grown birds right away, but to use a dog crate at first. SO I am using one of Skippy's crates for them. I expect to keep them in there a few days, then put them in the coop with the big birds.

So far, they are getting along great. They are cooing to each other and the big birds are staying near the crated young hens. My big hens have been pretty skittish and stay in the woods under cover when they go out of their coop now. I am not letting them out as much as before as I'm skittish too.

introducing new pullets 9351 introducing new pullets 9348 introducing new pullets 9356

3 comments:

My Veggie Garden said...

I'm planning on getting a few Black Australorp when I next need a few extra chooks but for now the 4 Golden lace wyandotts are keeping me in eggs.

alice said...

Your gang is growing!! Summer in MA looks nice.

kathy said...

The new hens have gotten quite fond of their dog crate. They snuggle up in there at night and scratch for food during the day. They chat with the big hens.

I've been letting them all out to forage together and the big hens tolerate the new ones if they are about 5 or 10 feet away. I'm trying to decide when to put them all together in the coop. Its a week tomorrow since I got the new ones.