Thursday, March 13, 2014

roses for my new arbor

I'd like to grow climbing roses up an arbor over my garden gate. Pale pink ones. Its fun to think about variety. I think my favorite is Eden (also known as Pierre de Ronsard). A modern French rose with an old fashioned look. "The flowers are huge and cup-shaped and very heavy. The buds are light green and develop into creamy white almost cabbage looking and later cup-shaped flowers with a delightful blush pink center. As the flower ages they turn almost white."

'Eden' rose
'Eden' rose Eden

Other nice roses are 'New Dawn' and the David Austin rose 'Sombreuil'
Eden Eden

Other nice David Austin climbers are 'St. Swithun' and 'Mortimer Sackler'
Eden Eden

I wonder how it would look to have 'Eden' on one side of the gate and 'Sombreuil' on the other. It seems from the pictures that their colors compliment each other.

'Sombreuil' description: "The flowers have many petals arranged in the form of flat, quartered rosettes. They are creamy white, sometimes with a hint of pink at the centre, and have a delicious tea scent. A hardy rose that repeat flowers well; in fact, we know of no other old variety that produces better flowers in autumn. 12ft."

6 comments:

Laura said...

I have Sombrueil on my garden arbor. It flowers beautifully, and is disease free in my wet/warm climate. But I had to replace the arbor this year because it got so large and heavy that it crushed the first one.

Laura said...

Ah, I found a good picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemay/7200777618/

Marian (LondonUK) said...

They all look beautiful. I love it when you push your nose into a scented rose and breath in, ahh! My sister-in-law had Austin roses for her 50th birthday, they are lovely and tall, but don't know if they are officially a climber, she chose Barbara Austin as that is her name. Your new garden is going to be wonderful.
Marian (LondonUK)

Karen Anne said...

The Austin roses seem to have no scent, at least the ones I've encountered.

Dan said...

I've had New Dawn on the front corner of my house for about 6 years now. It is bullet proof and smells amazing. Last summer it was a 8'x4' block of blooms.

Anonymous said...

All David Austin roses have croaked here in Western Mass. New Dawn is, indeed, bullet proof and lovely but mine is the size of a mini-van and my husband hates it because it is always blocking his way thru the arbor. I'm a big fan of the Canadian climbers of which William Baffin is the prince. Good luck!
Betsy