Friday, February 07, 2014

mini pies and Meyer Derby

pie and derby 043 My favorite dough recipe is this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/apple-pie-recipe.html

I like it for apple pie as in the recipe. Today we made a double batch and used half for mini pies with canned fruit and froze the other half. My favorite fillings for mini pies are canned cherry or blueberry. To make mini pies, I roll the dough in a square, slice it in three or four sections, dollop on the fruit, fold over the dough, crimp and bake. I'm looking forward to canning my own fruit soon for these little pies.

For the perfect beverage with these little pies, I like a Meyer Derby. Mix 2 oz Bermuda dark rum, add maple syrup and squeeze fresh Meyers lemons to taste. Shake with ice and then strain into a chilled martini glass. Yum!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Apple pie is my all-time favorite. I've never seen a pie crust recipe with vinegar. Never knew it could make for a more tender crust. Will have to give it a shot. Thanks!

Lara said...

I will have to try this vinegar thing out too...and that Meyer Derby:-). Absolutely love little pies. I have these little souffle dishes I like to put them in, but it looks like you just free formed it--you're giving me all sorts of ideas.