Tuesday, December 24, 2013

snowy fruit tree clearing

fruit tree  clearing 1 fruit tree  clearing 1213 fruit tree  clearing 1222 This is the area where I will plant some fruit trees in the spring. It was under a foot of snow last week when I took these pictures. After the rain we got the past couple days, only a few inches of snow left now.

I should have room here for about 5 dwarf or semi dwarf trees. I want to measure the area soon and mark out where the trees will go. I am thinking of getting 3 apples (maybe dwarf Liberty, Honeycrisp and Esopus Spitzenburg from Fedco), a peach and maybe a pie cherry tree. (I will eventually move my two espaliered pear trees from my community plot to the fence of my vegetable garden.)

I love reading the Fedco catalog section of fruit trees. So much information!

4 comments:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy what a wonderful snowy scene! What an exciting year ahead for you and your garden, so much to plan and do. Maybe you will get a Christmas egg or eggs from the Chooks? I don't know if you saw my note about if you still have my email to send me yours as my hard-drive died? Christmas wishes to you and yours and peace to all.
Jingle Jingle
(Marian LondonUK)

kathy said...

Marion - Hi! I sent you a holiday card. I suppose it went to your dead hard drive. :-(

You can reach me at kathy@skippysgarden.com

Let me know your address.

No Cheistmas egg. I'm always hopeful, maybe a New Yeras egg? I'm saving lots of egg cartons. My mom is saving them Too.

Thomas Generazio said...

Hi Kathy, that looks like a nice space for home orchard. It's always exciting to move into a new home and map out new garden spaces. I myself have ordered 12 fruit trees to plant this spring. Most of my apples will be grown as a high density fruiting wall since I"m hoping to fit in as many different varieties as possible. Here's a nice video about apple fruiting walls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7687lrkmmuE
I'm also purchasing some scion wood to graft onto a couple of semi-dwarf trees - another great way to fit in more varieties. There's even a source here in MA where you can purchase scion wood for many heritage varities.
http://www.towerhillbg.org/files/3213/6501/4578/th_scionwood_ord08-09.pdf

Anonymous said...

My husband and I just got some land in the Berkshires where we are hoping to plant 3 apples, a plum and a peach tree next year. This year we are doing research, picking the site and working on soil improvement - I look forward to reading about your adventures at the same time.