Thursday, November 15, 2012

starting to sprout sweet potatoes

sweets under the radiator 022
To get a head start, I put my sweets for sprouting in small bowls with half filled with water. I lined them up under the radiator for extra warmth. I will be collecting some pint jars (and toothpicks) for setting them up correctly soon. Here is a great link for reading about how to sprout sweets: Starting Sweet Slips.

I have three varieties starting. Two from my harvest from this year (Jewel's and Hannah's - these are dry textured, orange and white flesh) and a new one I picked up at the supermarket last week, (Beauregard - a moist orange type). These are three of the most common commercial varieties. I am thinking I will also try ordering a few heirloom slips from Sandhill Preservation next year. They have some very nice assortments: their choice of heirloom varieties, 2 types $5. Sounds good to me!

7 comments:

Judy said...

How do you sprout sweet potatoes?

I read your blog every weekday. Love it!

kathy said...

Thanks! I finally posted my photo and text.

I am hoping I didn't do bad by cutting the Beauregard into pieces.

icebear said...

Already?

kathy said...

Oops, is it too early!?. Mine started so slow last year.

admin said...

Mine only took 15 days to sprout in water! Best of luck!

Donald said...

Beauregards work great thats the ones i have the best luck with.I think that is the most common supermarket variety, The asian supermarket have one that tastes great its kinda a white greyish skin with a purple flesh , when when baked for thanksgiving it was delish, they might work. The purple ones might take longer to grow, another one that is a short season is Georgia Jet. Ken Allan who wrote the book Sweet Potaotes for the Home Garden. he claims these are the best for a short season, he grows his Sweet Potaotes in Kingston Ont. I have a copy of his book if you can find a copy of his book it it`s worth its weight in gold.

pam_chesbay said...

Hi Kathy:

You are starting your slips early, but I don't know if this is too early. Just view this as an experiment, as most gardening seems to be.

Sweet potatoes are tropical plants so they don't grow or produce until they have heat - the more heat, they happier they are. I ordered 5 plants of 14 varieties from Duck Creek Farms - http://www.duckcreekfarms.com/produce.shtml. They had an excellent selection. I emailed back and forth with the owner - he gave me good advice. The plants arrived on June 1, I planted them June 9-11. I harvested Oct 25-26, just before TS Sandy arrived. Harvest was 167 lbs. I learned so much - I think I can get a similar harvest with half the plants next year.

Before Sandy, I planned to leave them in the ground until we got closer to a frost - mid to late Nov. (it's 11/26, no frost yet). The longer you can let them grow, the bigger your harvest - up to a point.

I'm excited about your sweets and look forward to progress reports. Really enjoying your crop review!

Take care,
Pam