Saturday, October 27, 2012

bluestone patio

bluestone  patio 025 bluestone  patio 027 bluestone  patio 024 bluestone  patio 023 When I published a photo of these great bluestones that I recovered from someone's trash earlier this year, a reader commented that he/she would lay them in a pattern with stones between. This sounded like a great idea to me. I've never done this, so I am experimenting. I loosened and racked the soil, laid the bluestone and then piled on extra dirt. After stomping it down and working in more soil under stones that wobbled, I swept the extra soil of off the patio. I'll gradually work in more small stones to complete the pattern. Its a work in progress!

2 comments:

pam_chesbay said...

Kathy - Your garden looks so inviting, and I know your soil and harvests have improved every year. I love your seed lists and garden diagrams. I google varieties that I'm not familiar with. This fall, I'm growing winter radishes and doing trials of 3 varieties of kale, 4 varieties of broccoli, 3 varieties of collards. Love it!

This spring, I started a new garden closer to the house. I look at your photos on Flickr for inspiration.

I do have a question: How do you keep up??

I live on the Chesapeake Bay so we spent days preparing for Sandy. Storm prep including building berms around the new garden. We had flooding but the water stopped a few inches from the garden during last high tide.

Just wanted to say "thank you"!

Pam

Marian(LondonUK) said...

A professional job I would say! I love it when you come upon a 'find' in someone else's rubbish. A good place for well earned post-digging rest.
Marian (LondonUK)