Wednesday, August 22, 2012

today's harvest

todays harvest 8-22-12 Copy of 139 Copy of 137 This is what I picked from the garden today. Lots of tomatoes.

The blight is hitting my tomato plants hard now, so I picked all of the tomatoes that were anywhere near pink. I pulled off all of the blighted leaves from the plants. The stems are nearly bare now with a bunch of green tomatoes hanging, hoping to ripen. I went ahead and sprayed again with Copper fungicide, as I have been doing weekly, even though there wasn't much there to spray.

And I was surprised by finding a bunch of broccoli shoots today. I almost pulled all of my broccoli a few weeks ago, after I picked the first, big heads. They didn't seem like they were producing any side shoots. But now, all of a sudden, I have lots of side shoots.

The two summer squashes in this harvest, a Zephyr and a Starship pattypan, will likely be my last of the season. I can't say I am sorry. I think I've eaten a million summer squashes in the past couple months. They were yummy, but I'm looking forward to moving on to another vegetable.

Two days ago, my sister and I used a giant zucchini and made zucchini bread. The one zucchini made about 8 cups of grated squash. I use 3 cups per my 2 loaf recipe. We made a 1x recipe, and then a 1.5x recipe, ending up with 3 loaves, 1 Bundt cake and two giant muffins. My sister took a loaf to work with her and I froze two loaves. It really came out nice and we have been enjoying it.

ripe tomatoes 144

4 comments:

arie w said...

hmmm...yummy....i love tomatoes

Unknown said...

Beautiful tomatoes. I 'm also starting a gardening blog too. would really appreciate your help- http://atomatogrowsinqueens.blogspot.com/

Sustainably Modern said...

Beautiful Harvests. Love the leeks.

Matron said...

You have a great harvest of tomatoes, despite the blight. Mine are badly affected, just a few nibblers that's all.