Tuesday, June 19, 2012

the day before the solstice

We are going from cool to HOT!!!

Today was a lovely 70 degree day. I was lucky to be able to spend the day in the garden. Though I forgot to bring my camera, I did photograph my harvest of garlic scapes, spinach and lettuce.

Last night I found a couple of nice old chairs that a neighbor had left out for the trash pickup. I snagged them and brought them to the community garden. I left them for others and the first gardener in commented how nice and brought one to her plot. Another great find was that the truck that came to pick up a load of our garden trash had a whole stack of cut blue stone in the back. They were very happy to unload it for our use!! I took a bunch to my garden and now have a little blue stone patio under my garden chair.

I weeded and watered today. I squished a few potato bugs. Was really pleased to see that what looked like an infestation starting last week (about 50 potatoes larvae last week) is petering out (I hope - only about 20 bugs today).

The warm weather crops are taking off finally. Today the basil looked markedly better. It looked actually quite happy. The tomatoes, sweet potatoes and squashes are taking off. My potatoes are in full bloom. Small summer squashes and cucumbers are forming.

Tomorrow is predicted to be 97*F here in the Boston area. And quite humid. We haven't been above 80* since last August.

Tomorrow is also the summer solstice. The longest (and best) day of the year. We are planning a potluck gathering to celebrate at the community garden. We will all bring a dish made with at least one of the vegetables harvested from our gardens. I am planning to bring rhubarb pie. I made a good version last week and look forward to making it again to share.

scape harvest 070
harvest 072

5 comments:

Adventures in Agriburbia said...

Sounds like that blue slate was quite a score. Your harvest looks wonderful. I can't believe it is going to be 97 in Boston tomorrow. I am in the South and it is only predicted to be around 90. Hang in there!

Gracie Ayers said...

your salad looks delightful and the blue glass is quite intriguing, be sure to post a picture. You've had some good finds this week!

becky3086 said...

We have turned quite hot too. Mid 90's for a week or so to come but we've had it really nice so far this summer so we can't really complain.

Nichole said...

Can't wait to see how the blue stone patio looks in your garden.

Mary S. from Toronto said...

Kathy - can you share your recipe for the garlic scape pesto? Thanks.