Sunday, May 06, 2012

critters ate my broccoli seedlings

eaten broccoli 055
eaten broccoli seedlings 089 protected broccoli seedlings 092

Last Thursday, I planted 12 little broccoli seedlings. Saturday morning I checked on them and some critter had eaten the tops off of 3 or 4 of them. I think it was probably chipmunks (too early for baby rabbits and cutworms don't eat off just the leaves). My solutions was to replant my extra seedlings and cover the plot with hoops and row cover. I hope this works. I haven't had this problem before.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem for a first time this year Kathy, I used plastic bottle tops(I cut the bottom and put it around the plant with no cap so can breath) to cover them and it worked for now. Looks like the once that were bigger are ok without any cover.
Your garden looks great as usual. I am wishing al the gardeners, us a wonderful no bug, no disease no problem gardening :]
Huli

leah said...

The baby rabbits are very active in the school garden I am revitalizing this year... Don't discount them too soon! Good luck protecting your veggies.
Leah

Michele/Topsfield,MA said...

Sorry to hear about your chipmunk mischief! I saw two little bunnies hopping around our garden yesterday.. thankfully our boxer dog chased them away! - Who needs a scarecrow..when you have a scaredog.. hehe

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi Kathy, your plot looks lovely, the wooden arch your husband made you is fantastic. Need to send my husband to carpentry classes methinks! Re seedlings, have you had windy weather? We lost a whole batch of seedlings last year due to the wind twisting the young leaves until they fell off, even though they had been hardened off etc. Just a thought.
Marian (LondonUK)

pam_chesbay said...

Love row cover! Solves so many problems. You have critters. My critters don't seem as aggressive. (I should probably wait to make that claim).

But I have wind - 20-25+ knots out of the south for many days in the summer will kill almost anything.

Solution: row cover as the first defense while trying to decide on the best wind block.