Friday, December 23, 2011

winter reading



The Edible Garden Magazine


I came across a fantastic gardening magazine yesterday in Barnes and Noble. Published in the UK. I am leafing through it - sipping a pear martini with Christmas music playing.....

I'm getting so many new ideas for next year that I need to jot down a list. The cold frame structures are wonderful - at least 6 or 8 are photographed. I will have to think about possibly bricking the edges of mine. And I am considering a bit of a boxwood edge along my stone path. I bet this would look nice all year round.

The magazine has lots of photos of small espaliered fruit trees, terracotta forcers that look beautiful in the garden, creative paths and garden layouts, chickens and bees, polytunnels, ads for beautiful British garden tools, ahhh......

Their month-by-month of garden chores says December is time to lift celeriac, leeks, sunchokes, and the Christmas lunch potatoes. Next month we should clean the pots and garden tools (I always skip this...). In a cold greenhouse, sow leeks, broad beans, peas, lettuce. Under fleece, sow carrots and spinach. I think the British climate is milder than New England, but I always like to give new things a try. Soon the sun will be hitting my cold frame again and I bet early peas and broad beans would do well.

Midwinter is the perfect time for garden magazines.

8 comments:

Jezibels said...

Thanks for this post Im always looking for a good winter magazine with lots of photos to inspire me thru till next season! I was also thinking about CMU next to the outside of my cold frame to hlep with holding in the days sun thru the evening. Put some birdseed out this morning and waiting for some cardinals!

Anonymous said...

I love a good gardening mag! Thanks for the tip :)

-McKenzie

Yael said...

I love the magazine section at Barnes and Noble. I just wish I had one here in my town.

It is so great to see someone looking at next years gardening already. I haven't even started yet. I'm just enjoying my winter bloomers so far.

Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas!

Yael

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Hi there, a very Merry and peaceful Christmas to you and your family. I love Barnes & Noble, in fact I have just written and sent Christmas cards I bought there in the sale 27 December last year in Florida. I love that shop! It looks like there is a picture of Alice (Or is it Alys) Fowler on the cover. She blossomed (get it!, well it is the Pantomime season!) overnight on the BBC's Gardener's World programme. A wonderful programme to watch on a Friday night after a weeks work.
Off to watch carols on tv at Southwark Cathedral with a festive glass of Sloe Gin. Have a lovely Christmas day!
Marian (LondonUK)

Dan said...

Happy Holidays Kathy!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and Skippy!
- Daisy and Pixie in AZ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip on this magazine, have sent away for a subscription right away! It seems gardeners in the UK have a much more developed culture in terms of cultivating vegetables...

Karen said...

I love to learn new winter gardening techniques. I will be looking for this magazine.

Thanks,