Wednesday, June 22, 2011

community garden pot-luck lunch

event 097

We had a fun community garden event last Saturday. Judy arranged it. A pot luck lunch to celebrate the summer solstice. Gardeners brought salads from their gardens. Dianne and Glenn brought a fantastic cauliflower and dill salad, I brought garlic scape pesto, Judy made harvest bread, there was also a big bowl of fresh picked lettuce a gardener brought. I will post my scape recipe soon and hopefully Diane's cauliflower recipe too.

We also did am impromptu seedling share. Katherine had strawberry and magenta silene divisions. I was very happy to take some of each. I had lots of little tomato, pepper, squash and melon seedlings to share. They disappeared fast.

We had a "meeting" after the eating and swapping and did a bit of "community garden work". Identify what gardeners think is lacking and what we can do. Among items identified were better water pressure and trash cans. We outlined ideas and solutions - just as lightning and a spring down pour broke up the gathering.

event 096 event 095
event 093 event 094
event 088 event 089
event 090 event 096 (2)
event 092

12 comments:

Happy Pets said...

Hi, I was just over an old blog of yours, Skippy's Backyard.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the pictures of the pot-luck lunch made my mouth water.

I don't do gardening but my mom does, so I'm gonna show her your blog when I get the chance :) Beautiful garden you have there :) Reminds me of home.

Martin and Amy said...

Wow! That looks like such a good event. It's a shame the weather had to end it prematurely.

Some of the food looks absolutely delicious!

Keep up the good work!

Martin

Vanessa said...

Mmmmm everything looks yummy and like you had a lot of fun!

Thomas said...

Hi Kathy, just an FYI - my friend and I are starting a local artisan/veggie gardening/small-farming/urban homesteading/sustainable living group. I posted about it today if you're interested in learning more about it or spreading the word.

Thanks! Thomas

Oh, it looks a fun event you organized there. Sometimes I wish I was a member of a community garden!

Single Gal said...

I never heard of cauliflower salad, but it looks delicious.

Glad to hear your meeting went well.

The last time I heard what went on at my community garden. We were talking about putting up a fence.

Nicky Altieri said...

Looks outstanding!

Diane B said...

Nice!

marian(LondonUK) said...

Brilliant idea! Looks like fun. I hope to organise a plant swap next May at our Lottie site. Not sure at how much uptake I will get. I have found on my visits to the US that you are far better at "community get togethers". It is hard to rally up support at our site, people seem more remote.
Marian (LondonUK)

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

I'd be interested in the cauliflower salad if you've got it.

chicken coops said...

It is good collection of vegetable for lunch in the garden because that can be take a community lunch in the garden with family member and friends also most of the time that can be a lot of enjoy.

Chicken Coops said...

Brilliant idea! Looks like fun. I hope to organize a plant swap next May at our Lottie site.

Chicken Coops said...

I hope to organise a plant.It is good collection of vegetable for lunch in the garden.