Tuesday, May 31, 2011

baby pears

baby pear 043

I was very happy to find a bunch of baby pears (my first!) on one of my espaliered trees in my community plot. I have two trees trained on a 5 foot fence. One tree (a Bartlett) has been there for 3 years now and the other I planted last spring. Last year both trees looked bad - with some bugs in the leaves (red spots - scale I think), so this spring I used a dormant oil spray just before buds opened. The fruit has set on the newer smaller tree - no bloom or fruit on the older tree. But the leaves look very good on both trees. Maybe next year I will have fruit on both trees. Soon, I will bag the fruits I have now and hopefully protect them from the garden critters.

5 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

How wonderful to have pears coming.

SouthCoast Guy said...

Hope this is the first of many!

Mariah From the Machine Shed Blog said...

Those cute little pears make me want to start my own pear tree.

Congrats on all the birds, they liven up gardens and make them more beautiful. The pale blue egg is gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing!

Synthetic Turf Perth said...

It is really a nice way to add charm to your garden with bikes.I have one at my place, would try to create a one.

Anonymous said...

My 4 year old pear tree (a mix of 4 varieties) has gradually been flowering less each year and I read recently that this may be a sign of lack of potash. I'm curious if you've looked into possible reasons for the lack of flowers on your pear (other than the bad year last year). Bright red areas on a leaf can be addressed with sulfer in the spring I think, although I just ignore it on my tree - as it doesn't seem to kill the leaves.
Great Blog!

Leah