Saturday, March 19, 2011

replanted cold frame

replanted cold frame 009
overwintered lettuce in cold frame 010 seedlings in cold frame 003

I took all the overwintered plants (lettuce, spinach, beets, broccoli and endive) out of my cold frame in the beautiful warm weather on Friday, added six bags of manure and compost mix, turned it under, and then replanted everything. I also planted the seedlings I started on Jan 28 (leeks, onions, lettuce and escarole). There's a tray of seedlings (onions, arugula spinach, kale, dill and lettuce) that has been out in the frame since midweek that is doing well. The cold frame is turning into a perfect place to harden off plants. I also brought out a couple plants (a begonia and a fuchsia) that I was over wintering inside. Like me, they seem to have just barely survived the winter and need some real sunlight and warm air.

plantes in cold frame 011

6 comments:

meemsnyc said...

Everything looks pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you decided to replant your cold frame. A majority of your old plants had been ruined by the cold temperatures when the plastic ripped. You'll certain have good luck but I would of put a heater cable in the ground too! Enjoy the snow coming our way.

kathy said...

Thanks Anonymous. I already spend enough money on electricity and it seems silly to spend so much on my hobby. I can't imagine how much energy that would draw to heat up a big area of soil.

Corrina said...

Kathy, I think I have asked before, so please forgive my repeat! Did you have a specific cold frame plan that you followed? I did a very, very low tech one with salt marsh hay and windows this year, but would like to kick it up a bit for next year. Thank you! As always, I love your blog and get such inspiration from it!

Abiz Web Directory said...

Very Nice Information!! Thanks
Abiz Web Directory

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog! Your plants look lovely I'm certain they will sustain the upcoming cold weather.