Monday, December 13, 2010

winter reds and greens

cold frame 079

The greens are still growing in my cold frame. I think the lowest temperature they have seen in the frame is about 28*F. This was on a very cold night that went into the teens outside the frame. The remote thermometer monitors below show the cold frame temperature on the big display and the outside temperature on the smaller one.

temperature

I was worried to see the plants all wilted down, but they perked up as the temperatures came up. I had to bring a bucket of water out to water the plants yesterday as the soil is drying out.

cold frame 081 cold frame 074
cold frame 076
cold frame 082

Since its my first year with a cold frame, I not sure how long I can wait to harvest. So far, so good. But it seems some very cold weather is heading east on Wednesday and I will plan to harvest most of the greens before this.

I never did get a heater or even extra insulation added to the cold frame. Still impressive how well it has done to extend the harvest time.

8 comments:

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

How nice eating fresh veggies straight from the garden even though it is winter there.

Emily said...

Don't harvest all your greens. Some like the spinach and tatsoi will hold on for later and will give you a burst of new growth in the spring.

I have a cold frame full of greens right now but we are waiting to harvest until the dark days of winter when they will be a real treat. Today it is a balmy 50 degrees here in NH!

Unknown said...

I don't know if it will help but I heated up water bottles and stuck them under my wrapped tomato plants when it was threatening to freeze. They are still hanging in there, with tomatoes on.

kathy said...

Thanks for the comments.

I went out today and picked some greens for a friend who brought me some tamales she made as a holiday gift. I was glad to reciprocate with garden items: a bag of fresh picked greens, a couple garlic heads and a nice butternut squash.

After the balmy weather, the temps are going down again this week. But not too low. I think my greens will be OK for a bit more time.

The water bottles are a good idea. I have a big 5 gallon water bottle and I could easily fill it with hot water and put it in the cold frame on a chilly night. Thanks!

sarahsvegetablepatch said...

People where I live often use candles for graves, the ones that are in a glass with a lid (with holes) on, to heat small cold frames. I've never tried it though, but I guess it's an option?
Sarah

Tanya Boracay said...

Hi,

wow nice plants, they look healthy. I want to harvest it..

Just like to share with you a beautiful quote...

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer

You can get more happiness quotes at http://www.quotelandia.com/category/Happiness

Dan said...

Your greens are looking really good :-)

Mike's Vent Cleaning said...

That is the best part of gardening...you get to eat the fresh organic food and also make your family members happy and healthy with such habits or good eating.