Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Day lettuce harvest

Christmas Day lettuce harvest

I've been looking forward to harvesting lettuce on Christmas Day. In the snow. Not much left in the frame now, but enough for a bowl of greens for the Christmas table. They were very fresh and crisp. I picked spinach, baby beet greens, escarole frisee and curly red lettuce. I also added some baby kale for color.

I think this is my last harvest of the season. Maybe what's left in the cold frame will wait until spring and regrow when it warms up again. I've heard spinach is good at regrowing in the spring. We have heavy snow coming tomorrow night, so I'll replace the tarp covering tomorrow and see how the cold frame survives its first winter.

8 comments:

p3chandan said...

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you! Your greens look good and fresh and I can imagine the taste of those crispy sweet salad! Hope I can attempt my first greens next year too.

kathy said...

Happy Gardening!

Its time to start planning next year's garden. I look forward to reading the new seed catalogs, sorting seeds I have leftover, and setting out a plan for what to plant.

Daphne Gould said...

I hope you had a Merry Christmas. We don't have family close, so we had friends over.

MAYBELLINE said...

I'm in prime salad growing season currently and enjoyed a wonderful fresh salad on Christmas, Boxing Day, and I'll have more tomorrow. This should hold out until the heat sets in.

Happy 2011.

Toni said...

Your lettuce looks so beautiful!

Isn't it fun to have some live plants in the cold frame? I love checking in on my little hoop house!

makhappy522 said...

How did the cold frame last the blizzard? Our wind down here in S. Cent. CT got up to 50+ gusts.

kathy said...

Cold frame seems to be fine with a foot of snow cover. What a wild storm!

Chef Jay said...

So fresh! I usually match a vegetable salad with barbecue rib recipes to have a nutritional balance. Happy New Year! :)