Saturday, September 11, 2010

cucumbers

cukes 6
cukes 4 cukes 3
cukes 1

Still lots of cucumbers hiding under the leaves in my vine filled cold frame. It seems this is a good spot for them. I notice that most other cucumber patches around here have turned brown and stopped producing. I think the frame has sheltered them well in this hot dry summer. I'm starting to get a little mildew on the leaves now, but not too bad.

I can't even come close to eating them all. I meant to make pickles, and maybe I will soon, but I haven't had time to do this yet.

But maybe I won't have extras now, because I've discovered a nice way to use them: tiny baby cucumbers in a martini! A perfect way to eat a whole cuke in one bite.

cukes in martinis

5 comments:

Thomas said...

I'm amazed that your cucumber vines still look so healthy. Mine had succumbed to cucumber beetles and powdering mildew weeks ago. I think I'll have to do successive plantings next summer to extend the harvest.

kathy said...

My cucumbers have always done best in my side yard garden where it is very sheltered. I planted the same seedlings this year in my parents open garden and they petered out a while ago. I think maybe shelter and wind blocks help them, keeping in humidity and warmth. Sand Hill says to leave row cover on until flowering. I've never done successive planting for cukes. I think doing what you can to keep them warm, sheltered, and off the ground is best.

Also watch stems for borers. With a little borer damage, plants become susceptible to mildew and insects. I had bad borers on my squash stems this year. Next year I'll be looking for a tape of some type to wrap lower stems.

Vic said...

Beautiful cucumbers. Ours went to Mildew Heaven. :(

J.Q. Rose said...

I had to check why martinis was listed in a garden blog...now I get it! Very clever idea for using them in a martini and probably a great conversation starter too.

kathy said...

Martinis don't really belong in a gardening blog - of course. Its just my thing. I think its important to celebrate big events - like a super pumpkin harvest or the first cucumber of the season. The Harvest moon. Or a beautiful spring rain. And martinis go well with almost any vegetable or fruit.

Cheers!