Saturday, August 21, 2010

garden notes

We had a very successful garden event today. We requested volunteers come to help dig a trench (about 125 feet long x 1 ft deep) to run an extra water line to the new plots. About 25 people came and it was short work to dig, lay line, and back fill. Thanks to all who came!

I checked on my beans at my plot today. I had a terrible problem with Mexican bean beetle. On Thursday, I sprayed with Captain Jack's Dead Bug Spray. I am pleased with the results. Very few larvae/beetles left today. I was able to squish these (yuck... I HATE to do this...). I will try to keep up with squishing them so I don't need to use spray again. Maybe I will bring an old glove to the garden and use this. I notice that many plots have skeleton bean leaves this year with bad bean beetle infestations.

I picked a handful of Chinese pole beans pods that I let ripen fully on the vines. I save these every year for replanting next year.

I continue to plant seeds for fall crops. I put in three rows of peas today. A bit late, but so hot I couldn't see planting sooner. I planted Caselode and Oregon Giant. Also a couple rows of carrots and lettuce seeds. I've been planting carrots every week for the past month. They don't do well with such dry weather, but I keep at it. I've covered the beds with row fabric and this seems to help keep in moisture and shade small seedlings.

I have some nice lettuce ans spinach seedlings under lights at home now. Its fun to watch them grow. They a coddled to be watered and under lights.

2 comments:

Marian(LondonUK) said...

Glad you had lots of help. We are rallying up some troops to help with our Festival on 5 September. The local community are invited to come in for 50pence and they can have a roam about, buy homemade jam and cakes and be inspired to garden too. On with the cause!
Marian (LondonUK)

Fat Boy said...

Many hand make light work as they say.
IT's good to see that you are growing a variety of unusual things in your garden. I am interested in topsoil and what makes things grow. I have come to the conclusion that the UK has some of the worst topsoil in the world. thats probably why we import everything.