Monday, August 30, 2010

fall seedlings

seedings under lights

These are my little plants growing inside under the lights. With the hot dry summer weather and then pelting rain, its nice to baby them. I have several types of lettuce here, and some spinach. They're ready to go outside soon.

I checked my community plot today. I've been sowing seeds there regularly. Not much sprouted during hot dry weather in July and early August. Today I see several patches coming up. Nice pea sprouts, and a little bed of tiny lettuces. Also a row that looks like broccoli, but I can't remember what I planted there (oops!). Carrots and radicchio have not done well.

Today I planted cilantro and dill in the garden and last night I planted about 5 types of butterhead lettuces in flats under lights.

7 comments:

abigail said...

I planted all my fall seeds straight in the garden, and think you've got the better idea. My spinach in particular isn't germinating well at all because it's been so hot, and it's a big pain to have to water everything every day because it's been so dry!
Next year, I'm following your plan!

kathy said...

I think it may be best to try both. Also try covering your direct seeded crops. Mulch or fabric.

But I'm a big fan of indoor seeded plants. You can transplant them with proper spacing and don't need to thin.

I like to check on them first thing in the morning when I wake up, water them and turn on their light. Then check in the evening. Not much work, because they are right their in the house.

Dan said...

Good idea to start the fall stuff inside, never tried that before. I've been holding off planting things because of the heat. Looks like it will cool down later in the week.

kathy said...

By later in the week it will be September! Where did the season go? Only 40 days left here before frost. Maybe the frost will late this year. Who knows.

Thomas said...

Looking good kathy! I've been having the worst luck starting fall/winter seeds indoors this year so I've resigned myself to just sowing them directly outside and under some row cover.

That cold frame yours will really do wonders for you this winter. I'm sure spinach will thrive in there!

Marian(LondonUK) said...

It's really cooled down here, autumn seems to have happened very suddenly. I have just been out to check on my winter seedlings and their leaves are dewy and chilly. Get the polytunnels out!
Marian (LondonUK)

Alison Kerr said...

I decided to try my own indoor lettuce planting. So far the experiment is not going so well - apparently my "sunny", south-facing kitchen window has less light than it would seem. Oh well, I'm going to try more locations in the house. I think east-facing may be best.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just grow beansprouts instead.