Tuesday, April 28, 2009

garden aerial

aerial

I took this photo in the middle of the hot day today. 81*F! Isn't there usually a season between winter and summer?

I have been using April 30 (this Thursday) as my last frost date. Looks like it was actually mid April this year.

This morning, before it got hot, I cleared debris from the old beds and piled some fresh compost into them. I'll spread it and turn the soil next. Then its ready for planting.

My big new bed shows in the bottom right. Bright and sunny. Its waiting to be planted.

aerial views of my home vegetable garden

7 comments:

Charlotte said...

Looks nice

kathy said...

I think its going to be a good gardening year!

Dawnie (CT) said...

Never say never Kathy. The last frost day may not have come yet. We may get frost this week here in CT.

Jill said...

I want to believe no more frost!

jennifer said...

love your site. especially at this time of year.

speaking of frost, i have a question: if you're zone 6, how is your last frost date april 30? i'm zone 7 (mountains of southwest virginia) and the rule of thumb around here is Mother's Day weekend (usually second week in may) which i learned the hard way two years ago when we got a april twenty-something massive freeze that killed everything.

Jennifer Swanton Brown said...

Hi Kathy -- where do you stand to get such a view of your beds? You should see Alice's garden, it's really lovely right now, all her native California blooms are blooming. Cheers, and hope you stay warm.

kathy said...

Hi Jen,

I don't stand - I lean out of the upstairs bedroom window. Up here in NE we have tall houses and the garden is right next to the house. It makes for a good view.

I wish I could visit Alice's (my sister) garden. I have seen her photos of nasturtiums, forget-me-nots, orange poppies and tulips - all in full bloom now. What a combination!