Tuesday, January 27, 2009

mid winter gardening

box and pile
garden in snow bvg in the snow

Skippy and I took a walk at through the community garden plots yesterday. A local horse owner is still kindly dropping off manure, so I went ahead and collected some for my garden. I couldn't open my garden gate because of the snow, but was able to reach over my fence and grab my plastic wheelbarrow. I gathered one load in this, but it was difficult to lift it and dump the load over my 5 foot fence. I did manage to do it once. It was somewhat of a help that my 5 ft fence is now only 4 ft (with a foot of snow on the ground). But frozen manure is heavy and 4 ft is still high to lift an awkward, if cheap and light, wheelbarrow.

For the next load, I remembered the small toy box in the trunk of my car. I had picked this up from someone's trash the other day thinking it would be a good bench and storage box in my garden. (Don't tell anyone I've been picking through the trash... but I do love to see things recycled and I have been looking for a garden bench.) It was the perfect manure carrier. The lid was a good scoop. And it was much easier to carry the load in a small box than to drag my wheelbarrow over the snow covered garden paths. So I brought another load and dumped it over the fence.

I left the box next to my fence where I can reach it for the next time. In the spring, I will spread the manure and turn it in. I hope the child who owned the little toy box doesn't find out its being used to carry horse poo. Oh well. My plants will love it. And I'll hose down the box and I think it will still make a very nice bench plus storage box.

A long story about not much, but its very exciting to have done even a little garden work in the middle of winter!

12 comments:

Doctor Mom said...

Great about your top gardening blog award--you're representing for Belmont!

jimmycrackedcorn said...

It doesn't happen often...not often at all. I laughed out loud. Thanks for the pick-me-up this evening. That laugh was better than a cocktail. :)

RE:"I hope the child who owned the little toy box doesn't find out its being used to carry horse poo."

Johanna said...

I see you are back outside! Glad you are feeling better. You have more snow than we do at the moment. We are hoping for more soon as it makes for a better winter here. Enjoy!

kathy said...

What award?

kathy said...

HI Johanna, I was out all afternoon. Very nice. I hope you are enjoying winter in Alaska. I notice that the light is just a little brighter here now. Light til 5 pm now! I bet you don't have much daylight still.

PJ said...

such lovely pictures of snow (and an amusing story too) but oh the snow and the lovely skyline! (sorry if i sound gushy but it's currently 42.5 degree celcius here in Melbourne and climbing and despite having never really seen snow like that in my life I seem to think it would be a pleasant alternative)

Dennis said...

I feel really bad how awfull we have it Florida. It was 22 last week!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to what you are saying. But I love doing it. Haha.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, I have two very good friends who have retrieved wood for edging raised beds and other useful items from rubbish skips. I expect I am telling you something you already know, but my friend Paul recommended toilet paper tubes for growing beans; sweetpeas, they are a good depth, no root disturbance and decompose into the soil as per jiffy planters. Your journal gives me a cheery boost before I leave for work on these dreary January mornings, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like this story - though yes, it does sound awkward for that lift. We don't have anything like a community garden here, so I hearing about yours and the people who are part of it is good.

Dan said...

I was just out working in the veggie garden the other day, mainly protecting my colframe from the huge icicles over hanging it. Getting out in the garden in the winter is great, best part being there is no weeding to be done.

kathy said...

Don't you love the Melbourne and Florida comments! (But 22*F IS cold.) I know its mostly beautiful down there now. I'm planning to fly to FL in March for my Dad's birthday. SUN!