Monday, September 15, 2008

shell beans

shelled beans

I planted several types of shell beans this year, but was bad about labeling them. I'm not sure what varieties these are. Nevertheless, I like the way all the colors look together.

I am not going to dry these beans, but will eat them fresh, or semi-dry, as they are in the photo. They won't need to cook as long as dry shell beans and are supposed to taste better. We'll see.

Here's a list of all the types of beans I remember planting this year, mostly just small patches of each. And some did not sprout, so all types are not necessarily represented here. Plus I planted some seed that I collected and saved from last year. And it seems to me the big gray beans are some pole bean I bought mid summer and forgot to write down. I don't remember what it would have been.

Beans: Royal purple beans has white seeds
Beans: yellow wax beans has black seeds
Beans: Provider (green bush bean, purple seeds)
Beans: Isar (a yellow fillet bush bean, black seeds)
Shell Beans: Flagrano (a bush bean, French Flageolet, pale greenish seeds)
Shell Beans: Tongue Of Fire (pole horticultural bean, large red striped pods & seeds)
Shell Beans: Black Turtle Soup (a bushy plant, small black bean)

beans in shells unshelled beans

Fabaceae

9 comments:

dinzie said...

Don't they look awesome...
D

Sandra - outrasartes said...

Yes, they have great taste like this. You can make a soup with it, and diced carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, garlic, onions... season with salt and olive oil, in the end... one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I just love beans...

Those gunmetal blue/grey ones are especially lovely.

Anonymous said...

What glorious bounty and such a pretty picture! I can almost feel the chill in the air and the comforting aroma of a yummy bean soup on an autumn night! You are appreciated! - Daisy

Kristi said...

The colors are beautiful. Nature puts together the best color combinations.

Anonymous said...

I know this is kind of a dumb thing for a person who likes gardening to say...But until I saw your pics of the beans still in the pod, I was thinking to myself, I wonder what beans grown for drying look like when they're still on the plant? DOH!

kathy said...

Not so dumb, fern. I'm new at shell beans and I'm still trying to figure out the best timing for picking them.

I think I've read that its best to pick them before the pods dry, but when they are full and plump, and let them dry off the vine. Not sure about this. Maybe an experienced shell beans grower would drop a comment.

Chiot's Run said...

Beautiful. I'll have to venture into shell beans next year.

Maggie said...

Ooh, this is my first visit to your blog. Lovely pictures! I will have to come back. I am especially intrigued by your drying beans. I have never tried growing them, but am suddenly inspired.