Monday, May 26, 2008

random news

My peas and favas are blooming!

I have given away or planted myself most the 70-80 tomato seedlings I planted. Only 15 left to go. And I think I have homes for these.

I moved spinach seedlings to my community plot today. Not growing well at home. Maybe its a plant that needs more sun.

My first soybean sprouted today.

I'll harvest my first head of lettuce very soon. This week I think. This will be an exciting event. Once I start harvest, I hope not to buy more supermarket lettuce until November. Although mid summer is always a challenge.

The only vegetable seedlings I will buy this year are parsley and eggplants. Don't know how many plants I raised, but alot! I think I saved much $$. But I wonder if I add up savings and divide by hours spent, did I earn more than pennies/hours? Likely not. I would like to think of Purpose for Gardening.

6 comments:

Jim Lemire said...

I always find my lettuce runs out before the tomatoes and cukes come in - not sure I've had a full out home-grown salad yet from our garden. We need to time things better...

kathy said...

I like to plants lots of lettuce and keep on seeding. And yes, when the tomatoes come in (end of July for me) that's when its getting too warm for lettuce. It doesn't sprout well or grow much in the heat.

This year I have a variety recommended by my local CSA farmer called summer crisp or Batavian lettuce from Johnny's. This is probably a good time to start up a crop of this!

MUDNYC said...

Just wanted to de-lurk and say I love reading your blog!

kathy said...

Thanks!

Jaime said...

Kathy,

I love reading your blog too! I have two questions- do you have a method for harvesting your lettuce? I have a head that is ready to eat, too. Also, what are you growing your peas on? Yours are twice as tall as mine!

Jaime

kathy said...

How to harvest lettuce? I pull out the whole plant, break off the roots and throw them in the compost, wash the leaves and then eat them. My mom likes to pull off the outer leaves from the plant and leave the rest of the plant growing. I've also heard that it works good if you scissor off the leaves like a lawn mower - especially baby lettuce plants - and then let the plants regrow. Take your pick! But for a nice big head, I think it looks nice to harvest the whole thing.

And about the peas? Mine are doing really well this year! They must be 2-3 feet tall already and are blooming heavily. I didn't used to grow good peas. I think inoculant helps alot. My dad laughs, but you could try this. Of course, its also been perfect weather for peas this year. I planted them on March 18th. And I have a mix of pea varieties, some of which are very tall ones, like Tall Telephone and Capucijner's.