Monday, April 21, 2008

birds in the meadow

flasher4 flasher1
flasher3 flasher2
Can I get any help in identifying this wing flasher I saw in Rock Meadow yesterday? Mockingbird? Shrike?

The meadow and woods adjacent to my community garden has great wildlife. This weekend I flushed a pair of wood ducks in the woods by the stream. I still haven't seen the noisy ring necked pheasant, but I keep looking. I'd like to check for the nesting bluebirds again today.

garden birds (Hortus Aves)
Belmont Victory Garden

Rock Meadow Conservation Land, Belmont

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That little lovely is a mockingbird. He has a beautiful song.

Summer

kathy said...

thanks!

Peggy said...

I'd say mockingbird also. We have one that stays at my house all winter and comes to my birdbath. It took my a long time to figure out what he was.

kathy said...

Its that dark area that looks like an eye stripe that confused me. But he certainly has a body and bill shape like a mockingbird. And mockingbirds are known to do wing flashing.

Thanks for the help.